MICHIGAN'S AUTO AND MOBILITY ASSETS
Why Southeast Michigan?
- Since 2010, Michigan has received $26 billion in new investments from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and suppliers, more than any other state or province in North America.
- There are 17 OEM headquarters or technology centers in Michigan.
- There are 33 venture firms headquartered or with an office in Michigan with over $4 billion in capital under management
- Every $1 invested in a Michigan startup by a Michigan based venture capital firm attracts $4.61 of investment from outside of Michigan
- Michigan is home to 92 of the top 100 automotive suppliers to North America, 56 of which are headquartered in the Detroit region.
- Twelve assembly plants manufacture 24 cars and trucks in Michigan, producing more vehicles than any other state – nearly 20 percent of all U.S. production.
- More than $10 billion is spent on automotive R&D annually in Michigan, 75 percent of the U.S. total.
- A hub of nearly 115,000 engineers are employed and driving innovation in Michigan, the highest concentration than any other state.
- Leading the nation in connected vehicle projects at 49, Michigan was the first state in the nation to legalize self-driving vehicles on public roads, including ride-sharing services.
- There are 509 foreign automotive firms operating in Michigan, which have created 19,622 jobs and invested $4.8 billion since 2012.
- Michigan has more than 170,000 highly skilled professionals employed in automotive manufacturing.
View MICHauto's interactive AutoMobility Asset Map to see exactly why Michigan is the nation's leader in automobility research, development and investment.